Throwback Tech Tip Thursday! Student Emails

I'm starting a series of Throwback Thursday posts from my old blog to highlight some of the tech tips I shared there in the past. Check in each Thursday for another tip, and see what my thoughts are now that some time has passed, and I've used the tip a little longer in my classroom.

This week, I am sharing a super quick tip from about a year ago...

Today's tip is going to be super quick, because we started school yesterday, and I am one busy lady!

Have you ever found a really cool website you wanted to use with your class, but it required individual student email addresses? I found the answer last night. 

Step 1: Go to Gmail.com and create a Gmail account for your class. (I used mrsdoyle5th@gmail.com)

Step 2: When signing up your students for whatever website you are using, enter this email address followed by + and a number. (For example, mrsdoyle5th+1@gmail.com, mrsdoyle5th+2@gmail.com, etc.)

Gmail ignores anything after a + in an email address, and sends all correspondence to the original email address.

Easy as pie! 

UPDATE: My school now uses Google apps, so I am able to use the student email addresses associated with that, but all last year, this was a great trick! I actually used the numbers assigned to students based on their place in alphabetical order, so if their student number was 12, their email was mrsdoyle5th+12@gmail.com. It worked out really well, and helped them remember the email address!


1 comment

  1. Hi! I found your blog through Teaching Trio's linky party! That is such a great tip! I never knew of that - thanks so much for sharing!! This will be useful, especially since our school is a 1:1 iPad school. :)

    ReplyDelete